Glucose and Ketone on the Same Meter
Nova Max Plus incorporates advanced technology for accurate and precise self-monitoring of blood glucose and ketones by people with diabetes. Nova Max Plus has the most comprehensive features for fast, easy, and error-free blood glucose and ketone monitoring. The Nova Max Plus Glucose Meter automatically converts itself to a Ketone meter by inserting the Nova Max Plus Ketone strip
Why Ketone Measurements Are Important
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA) is a life-threatening metabolic complication of diabetes with a mortality rate of 2%-10%1
- DKA is the leading cause of hospitalization, morbidity, and death in children with type 1 diabetes 2
- The use of a blood test for early detection of increased blood ketone levels can help to avert DKA3,4,5
- According to the ADA, blood ketone testing should be performed on sick days and whenever glucose is greater than 250-300 mg/dL.
- Laffel L. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 2000;29:707-723.
- Casteels K et al. Rev Endoc Metab Disord 2003;4(2):159-166.
- Laffel LM et al. Diabet Med 2005;23(3):278-284.
- Umpierrex GE et al. Treat Endocrinol 2003;2(2):95-108.
- Guerci B et al. Diabetes Metab 2005;31:401-406.
- ADA. Diabetes Care 2004;27:S91-103.
No Coding Needed for Glucose or Ketone
Miscoded meters can lead to glucose errors as large as 50%.1 2
- Boyd, J. et al. (2003). Quality specifications for glucose meters: Assessment by simulation modeling of errors in insulin dose. Clinical Chemistry, 47(2), 209-214.
- Raine, C. (2007). Significant insulin dose errors may occur if blood glucose results are obtained from miscoded meters. Journal of Diabetes Science & Technology, 1(2).
No Maltose Error
Nova Max Plus prevents falsely elevated glucose results due to non glucose sugars in the blood such as maltose. Test strips that use the glucose dehydrogenase PQQ methodology can have glucose errors due to maltose, galactose and xylose. Nova Max does not have these interferences since it does not employ the glucose dehydrogenase PQQ methodology. *
Tiny 0.3 Microliter Sample Size
Less pain for patients.
Virtually Pain-Free 33 Gauge Lancets
Thinnest on the market** – virtually pain free lancing –especially important for patients who test frequently.
Fast 5-Second Glucose Results and 10-Second Ketone Results
Alternate Site Glucose Testing
* Based on lancets included with the featured glucose monitoring systems. ** On August 13, 2009 the FDA advised healthcare facilities to avoid using glucose test strips with GDH-PQQ enzyme. The FDA advisory notice reported 13 patient deaths caused by interference from maltose and other non-glucose sugars. Source: http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/Safety/AlertsandNotices/ PublicHealthNotifications/ucm176992.htm.